Thursday, August 26, 2010

mental health day









I saw Peggy off to Kindergarten this morning. (She takes a minivan/taxi arranged by the school) The bus came to pick her up at 7:30 am. As you could see in the photos I posted earlier, she was tired! But she was so very excited!

That gave me an opportunity to stop by the Nr 1 and get a larger bottle of water/apa and pick up some more supplies (including the ingredients to make her favorite choc chip pancakes for breakfast on Saturday morning, our tradition) -- without having to look after her in the store (and without having to save a hand free for her). At this point it is still taking me a lot of effort to read labels in Russian and/or Romanian and/or German and/or Hungarian -- so it was nice to be able to concentrate. Surprisingly, we have not been phased by the 4th floor walk-up. Still, it is easier to shop and carry groceries up 4 flights of stairs without Peggy in tow.

I got some work done. (I now have a desk, and it's all set up.) The internet guy came. And then I left to do some errands.

After walking to the real estate agent to return the device I was borrowing to access the internet from my apartment. I took some time to visit the Flower Market, where I purchased a beautiful bouquet of a dozen red roses for 50 lei (a little over $4). I strolled though another market, then had a latte at the Roberts Coffee shop in the SkyTower (which I see from my balcony). It is an American-style coffee shop (with a menu in English). [Don't judge me!] I read through the materials from the Embassy while sipping my latte and listening to Coldplay. Perfect. Then I strolled through the Art Market -- which is opposite our apartment building (block) on Stefan cel Mare. I spotted a painting that I just fell in love with, and I may have to go back to get it tomorrow. Such a relaxing afternoon. I felt terrific.

Then it was time to pick up Peggy from her first day of Kindergarten. We now have a good pick-up/drop off spot. [This is the one big safety issue in Chisinau: traffic. Cars do not yield for pedestrians.] I was thrilled to see her and hear about her first day.

After dropping off Peggy's backpack and lunchbox in the apartment, we went to the Art Market together. There were several stalls with beautiful nesting dolls -- and I thought I would get a set for Peggy to celebrate her first day of Kindergarten. There were so many beautiful dolls to choose from, that I thought it would be more fun for Peggy to pick out the ones she liked best. I hope we will treasure these for many years to come, and fondly remember her first day of Kindergarten in Chisinau.

We came back to the apt, played, had dinner, a bath, and watched a movie. She was fast asleep by 8:30 pm.

I think we are now in the groove and adjusted to Moldovan time! We feel great, and we are settling in to our apartment, which is feeling more and more like home.

Tomorrow morning I meet with my key contact at ULIM, and I am ready to begin my work with the university.

Photos attached to this blog include -- City Hall (this is caddy corner to my apt bldg, I can see it if I look left from my balcony), the statue of Stefan cel Mare, a random street/strada sign, the Flower Market stalls, and a view of the Art Market. I also posted a photo of a typical Chisinau sidewalk. Sidewalks are maintained (or not) by the property owners, not by the city. Hence, you will find that they are quite uneven, sometimes (often) with big holes in them. I try to be careful - but - I want to look around and take everything in - not just look down at the sidewalk. I have been walking around in my favorite croc flip flops, but this is likely ill-advised on the sidewalks here. (It is also another sign that I am not from here, since most of the women I have seen are sporting high heels)

No comments:

Post a Comment