Monday, October 19, 2020

ULIM conference -- “UNIVERSITAS EUROPEA: Towards a Knowledge-Based Society through Europeanisation and Globalization" -- presentation: "Civic Engagement in the Online Classroom"

This morning I had the pleasure of speaking at the conference organized by ULIM's Library:  “UNIVERSITAS EUROPEA: Towards a Knowledge-Based Society through Europeanisation and Globalization"

Previously on this blog I posted the Call for Proposals as well as the Conference Program:

https://jainmoldova.blogspot.com/2020/10/ulim-symposium-education-libraries-in.html

 

 

 I presented on the topic "Civic Engagement in the Online Classroom"

Abstract

In this presentation I will discuss the development and implementation of a civics project in an online American Government course. The challenges and opportunities of managing civic engagement projects in an online format will be explored. I have taught American National Government online for thirteen semesters.  During that time I administered anonymous pre-test and post-test surveys and collected Reflection Papers and Discussion Board Posts about each of the Civics Projects. In addition, the university administered anonymous end-of-course evaluations, and the Center for Civic Engagement administered anonymous student surveys of this Citizen Scholar course.  I will analyze the results of the survey data along with content analysis of the student reflection papers and discussion board posts in order to determine the impact of the civics project on students' civic learning and political engagement in the online course delivery format. Lessons learned are applicable to courses in fields that seek to incorporate service learning, community-based research, or civic engagement in the online context.

 For more about  my research on this topic, see

“Civic Engagement in the Online Classroom: Increasing Youth Political Engagement in an Online American Government Course.” Vol. 8, No. 1 (April 2019)  eJournal of Public Affairs, pp. 32-68.

 http://www.ejournalofpublicaffairs.org/civic-engagement-in-the-online-classroom-increasing-youth-political-engagement-in-an-online-american-government-course/ 

 and

“Promoting Civic Literacy and Engagement during the COVID-19 Pandemic,” with Elizabeth Bennion.  PSNow, American Political Science Association, 23 March 2020

https://politicalsciencenow.com/promoting-civic-literacy-and-engagement-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/

 

The brains behind the organization of this ULIM Library conference


Wonderful to be collaborating again with Larisa Patlis

It was like old times -- with 2 presentations "at" ULIM in the last 4 days.

from my living room in Florida I joined colleagues in Chisinau (and from around Europe -- there were also participants from Romania, Norway, and beyond)-- you can see our banana trees in the background



Add caption

 


Add caption










 Thanks again Larisa Patlis for the invitation!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, dear Dr. JSM! Like old good times! It was a pleasure having you in our Conference! Miss you! (Larisa Patlis)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every one deserves to be happy in their family or relationships, I was lucky enough to get my husband back , Doctor Robbinson helped me he is authentic , My Husband left me for 8 months and I was devastated and couldn't find any way out to get him back i tried all ways. At some point I was depressed, while i was reading through some post on the internet where people testified about how Dr Robbinson helped them Solve similiar problems I contacted him and he never hesitated to help me as well, My husband is back home, my happiness is restored
    Text/call: +12267705795
    Email: Drrobbinssonspiritualhome@gmail.com
    https://www.facebook.com/drrobbinson

    ReplyDelete