Tuesday, February 22, 2011

David Letterman on Moldova, and my response




I am a big fan of the Late Show with David Letterman (I even posted my own "Top Ten" List on this blog recently!), but when I saw this recent monologue, I felt compelled to clear up the misinformation about Moldova.

First, as far as the geography is concerned: Moldova is situated between Romania and the Ukraine. (A map is posted on this blog; see 2 July 2010)

Second, Moldova does not have a King. Moldova is a Parliamentary Republic. To learn more about the government, click here

http://www.gov.md/homepage.php?l=en

And for more information about Moldova, click here

http://www.moldova.md/en/home/

(Moldovan (Romanian) is the state language, but those sites are both the English versions)

Third, I am not sure about the highest per capital alcohol consumption figure (although I can understand why this would make a funny joke on late night TV). Regardless of its veracity, I can say that there are many wonderful facts/figures/facets of Moldovan life and culture, and for those, I suggest you scroll through some of my blog entries.

2 comments:

  1. This is really an offense for moldovians, thank you for clearing this. I am from Moldova and i like very much that an american citizen have written about this on her blog. I wish that other people will not be lasy and find out the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also moldovan, but I consider that this joke can be an offence only for people without sense of humor. Such a show is not teaching geography or politics, it's about fun, if you know this concept :)

    ReplyDelete