Sunday, November 20, 2011

Global Classroom: Independent Group Work



A key component of the work in the joint project between USM and USFSP students was to work independently within the eight groups to conduct the research and to draft a paper. Students at USFSP were offered the opportunity to record their experience of working closely with their USFSP and USM colleagues throughout this project as an extra credit assignment.

Here are a few excerpts:

“Over all my thoughts about this assignment are positive. I feel that it was a unique opportunity to work with students both in our class and in Moldova. … I have learned more about Human Trafficking through my own research, and it’s all because of this project. … This project also allowed me to make new friends out of classmates, and I truly hope those friendships last.”
- KM

“[I was] very surprised and happy about the work Elizaveta has contributed… she’s very intelligent in her writings.” – CC

“I made a Facebook group to strengthen the communication between the five of us [in the group].”
– LG

The students utilized social networking and online programs such as Skype, Facebook, and Dropbox in order to facilitate communication with group members at USFSP and USM.

“I spoke to Elena on Skype this morning. … I learned that Elena is actually a Russian & Russian Literature major not American Studies like I originally thought. I was very interested to find this out and our conversation about the project quickly transgressed into a discussion about the writings of one of my favorite authors, Fyodor Dostoyevsky. It turns out that Elena wrote her thesis on Dostoyevsky.” – AB

“Our group came together quite well, with each person knowing what they had to do for the group and contributing their best efforts. … Overall, I found it to be a very beneficial project and I hope that this book can be of benefit to people by highlighting some of the issues with the horrors of human trafficking. – YK

No comments:

Post a Comment