Thursday, August 4, 2011

Bringing Eastern Europe to USFSP



On several occasions while teaching and lecturing in Moldova I was able to bring in guest speakers from America (e.g., speakers for the virtual "roundtable" discussion about the 2010 mid-term elections in the U.S.) to Chisinau.

This summer (for the first time!) I was able to bring in a guest speaker from overseas into my classroom at USFSP, via a skype videoconference.

My friend Chuck Vernon, Managing Partner at Vernon|David (with offices in Bucharest, Romania and Chisinau, Moldova)spoke to my Law and Politics class about how he ended up practicing law in Eastern Europe, what it is like to manage a law firm, the kinds of transactions he negotiates, and much more. My students (and I) learned a great deal from the presentation and Q&A session. How cool is it that we could bring someone with this kind of expertise right into our classroom in St. Pete?!

This example is the first (of many, I'm sure!) that demonstrates how my Fulbright experience will benefit my students in Florida.

For more information about Vernon|David, see

http://www.vdalegal.com/charles-vernon/

No comments:

Post a Comment