Monday, August 1, 2011

WDC for Pre-Departure Orientation 2011, part 2








It was great to be back in Washington, DC. I was able to squeeze in visits with old friends on Capitol Hill and the Supreme Court around my sessions at the State Department's Eurasia Pre-Departure Orientation.

Pictured here, visiting with my favorite U.S. Senator: Jeanne Shaheen

I picked up more prizes for my Supreme Court Bingo game (that we play on the first day of my public law courses) while at the Supreme Court's gift shop. There I stumbled across this amusing sign: "Please Do Not Strike the Gavels." The Curator's Office just installed a fabulous new exhibit. Pictured here, part of the Bench from when the U.S. Supreme Court met in what is now the Old Senate Chamber in the U.S. Capitol.

One evening I went to dinner in Georgetown, where I wanted to see the Ukrainian Embassy. I did not realize, until reading Ross Baker's (one of my mentors from Rutgers) book Strangers on a Hill: Congress and the Court that the Ukrainian Embassy was once William Marbury's home! Yes, the William Marbury of the landmark Marbury v. Madison (1803)case.

http://www.amazon.com/Strangers-Hill-Congress-Ross-Baker/dp/0393978567/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312198975&sr=8-1

No comments:

Post a Comment