Saturday, July 21, 2012

USM American Studies Center



Moldova State University was abuzz with activity as prospective students were completing admissions paperwork.  The American Studies Center was being used for graduate admissions, so we met in a different sala.

It was an honor to be presented with the recently published book, Intercultural Communication in the New Millennium, edited by the President of the American Studies Center, Dr. Elena Crestianicov.  This book includes articles from international conferences organized by the ASC from 2010-2012.  I am so pleased that it includes a contribution from me, "Integrating Civic Engagement into Higher Education Curriculum in the United States."

We met to discus lectures, seminars, roundtable discussions, international conference that might be developed in conjunction with my study abroad course. Helen has a very collaborative approach, and we will have further discussions once her colleagues from the ASC return to campus in mid-August. I am excited about the ideas we generated about possible programming when my students are in Chisinau.  Helen also had many helpful suggestions regarding our itinerary/excursions.

After our meetings at the ASC, my dear colleague Svetlana and I (whom you know well if you have been following this blog -- it was she and I who collaborated on the USFSP-USM joint research project on human trafficking) enjoyed a cup of coffee at the new Tucano coffee shop.  (I had read about it from friends' postings on facebook when I was back in the States and was eager to find it.) We talked more about my research project, and it was so helpful to get her feedback. Svetlana also will assist me in arranging interviews with key figures related to my project.

It was so good to be back at Moldova State meeting with my dear colleagues, collaborating on research and teaching projects.

Both Helen and Svetlana were Fulbright Scholars to the US. It is truly remarkable, the international network of scholars developed by the Fulbright program. I should have mentioned also that Dean Coada and the Director of the Library, Zina, from ULIM were Fulbright Scholar as well!

Speaking of network of Fulbright scholars, Svetlana and I submitted a proposal to present a paper about our "global classroom" at the upcoming Fulbright Association Conference.





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this interesting researches with us here...

    ReplyDelete