Friday, July 2, 2010

T Minus 6.5 Weeks


The planning continues.


On the language front: I finished the Pimsleur Romanian 1 CDs. I highly recommend the methodology. I did each lesson several times, and the material that was covered has definitely sunk in. The only drawbacks: I was taught how to say 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, and 9 -- but not 6, 7, and 10, and the only food/drink I was taught to order was beer and wine. Other than that, it was a great program. Then I started another Romanian language program -- but this one was completely different (just rattling off phrases, without giving you time to practice or learn them) and it was for English English speakers. So I found myself double-translating the material in my mind as they were going through the vocab, e.g., chemist, flat, petrol station, paracetamol tablets. And they taught me how to say I was from England. A book came with the CDs, and I am hoping that will be of assistance. I need to go back to the Pimsleur set and use the brochure that came with it, so I can learn what letters make which sounds. (I was doing all of the lessons in the car. Needless to say, I did not use the book along with the lessons.)


While more work can be done to improve my Romanian, I decided to move on to Russian, as I am running out of time. I returned the 2 cassette programs (that were 30+ years old) to the library. I was able to find the Pimsleur Russian CDs at the Gulf Beaches Public Library, and I started Lesson 1 today. While I have already endorsed the methodology, I must say that there is one drawback. Lesson 1 starts with the same conversation and phrases, and when the teacher asked the questions I found myself responding in Romanian, not Russian. At least the Romanian has sunk in, but using the same lessons in Russian back-to-back with the Romanian lessons may make the Russian even more difficult to learn? I will soldier on, and give this the proverbial college try. Only 6 weeks left, however.


First visit to the Pinellas County Health Dept today. (It is located 2 blocks from the Junior League Headquarters. Who knew?) And I got the first of the shots I need for the trip. Hepatitis A and B is a series of 4 shots (3 to be taken in a 28-day period before I leave, the 4th a year after the 3rd shot). I got the first Hep A & B as well as a tetanus shot (those are needed every 10 years). Next Friday I will head back with Peggy for the 2nd hepatitis shot, and we'll both get the typhoid vaccine.


Was hoping we could save some expenses on the home front while I am abroad (e.g., car insurance, cell phone bill). Phone calls this week sadly reveal that savings will be negligible. For example, even though I won't be driving my car for 4+ months, we need to keep the liability. The only thing I can drop is collision, which the agent said would save $15 a month.


I pulled out 2 suitcases and actually started packing. I wanted to start pulling our clothes together so that I could identify our needs and shop over a period of weeks, rather than in a last-minute panic. Fortunately my favorite wool suits (which I have had no occasion to wear since moving to FL) still fit, so my work wardrobe is nearly complete. At the office I have begun to fill a copy paper box with books and materials I need for my courses. That will need much greater attention after summer session ends.
I have uploaded a map of Moldova. The first question I get when I say I am heading to Moldova is, "Where is Moldova??" As you can see, it is nestled between Romania and the Ukraine. I have much more to share with you about Moldova -- later.
La revedere for now
And Happy Independence Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment