Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Post Office, Tiraspol, Transnistria







I wanted to go to the bank to get some Transnistrian Rubles, and I wanted to go to the post office to get some Transnistrian stamps.

My friends had the brilliant idea that I should mail myself a postcard from Tiraspol, which I did. I selected one that said "Congratulations" in Russian, thinking it would be quite a feat if I did receive the postcard in Florida. Since Transnistria is not a recognized country, their stamps are for internal mail only. They sold me a Moldovan stamp for use in sending my postcard to the United States.

I was thrilled when I received my postcard -- exactly 2 weeks from the day when I sent it. This means it takes less time to send mail from Transnistria to Florida than it does to send mail from Florida to Moldova. (Ramsay's care packages always lagged a few weeks behind those sent from New York and Washington, DC)

No comments:

Post a Comment