Tuesday, December 14, 2010

last US Constitutional Law seminar







After our last US Constitutional Law lesson, my students planned a little celebration. They prepared some Moldovan treats, such as

placinta with brinza (cheese): these are delicious pastries that are filled with cheese or potatoes or chicken. (Placinta dough is also sold at the grocery store, and sometimes I would buy that, and then fill with ham and cheese and roll up like a burrito and bake. Such a flaky crust. Peggy enjoyed them, and they were a nice alternative to a traditional grilled cheese)

clatite: these are "pancakes" (more like crepes to me). The ones my students prepared were filled with strawberry jam

pirog/chec: this was a cake, like a pound cake, with apples and other fruits

There was an attempt to make some mulled wine, but the gas alarm went off, and that put an end to that.

(At least until the loud and piercing gas alarm when off) we had quite an enjoyable reception, and I very much enjoyed learning from them more about Moldovan food and traditions.

A downside to being 2 weeks behind on the blog, I am afraid that my memory is now fuzzy, and I would not want to spread misinformation about important customs and traditions. Perhaps I should try to share something from our conversations. The night before our meeting was St. Andrews Day, and they explained something about taking 2 candles, dripping the wax into bowl (of water?), and if the wax of the 2 candles mixes, then (the unmarried woman) would marry in the next year. And something else about how the first man that (an unmarried woman) would meet on the morning of the 13th, his name will be the name of her future husband. And about putting onions on windows on St Andrews Day to ward off bad souls? I am sorry that I can't remember all of the details for you. There is still so much more to learn about customs, traditions, folklore, legends, superstitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment