Thursday, December 9, 2010

Tempus Fugit






After my Judicial Process class on Thursday we went to the Grill House for lunch, which was delicious (and topped off by a chocolate fondue extravaganza). On the walk home, we stopped in the Green Hills cafe for coffee. (Which was my first visit to the cafe and the market, even though it is across from my apartment!)

On Friday morning we went to MoldExpo to help set up for the International Women's Club Winter Bazaar fundraiser. We helped the US Embassy booth unpack boxes of books to sell. (In the process I found a cool book for Peggy, "We the Kids," which is an illustrated text of the Preamble of the US Constitution) Impressive array of foodstuffs for sale -- and BAGGIES!!! -- fortunately, I have enough left from my care packages to get us through our last few weeks here. (Thanks, Beth!) The US Embassy raised the most money last year at the Bazaar, so they got a bigger (the biggest?) booth this year.

After our shift, we went to the Beer House for lunch. They have their own microbrewery, so I was planning a sample draft beer - but - it was another cold and snowy day, so I tried one of their warm beverages instead. Another disadvantage to my falling more than a week behind on the blog - I can't remember what it was called! But I think it was beer, whisky, and honey, mixed together and served piping hot. It definitely hit the spot, whatever it was. On the walk home we stopped in the Bucuria shop to sample some chocolates. (I changed my leftover Romanian lei and Ukranian hryvnia there as well. The money changing kiosk inside was actually how I found the candy shop in the first place, way back when)

We were so sad to see Ramsay leave, but we'll be reunited in Florida soon. We were able to share our favorite things (and everyday routine things) in Chisinau - and also to explore lots of new places, too. In fact, Ramsay discovered things that I didn't know existed. Like, we have HBO!?! Somehow, while I was working, he found all kinds of American TV shows and movies - in ENGLISH?! I am sure that I surfed thru the channels when our cable was first hooked up - and all I found was CNN International and BBC World News (which is what I watch) in English - and we found Nickelodeon and Disney Channel for Peggy (but even then, some of Peggy's favorite shows are dubbed in Romanian and others in Russian) The first time he switched on the TV, Ramsay found more than a half dozen channels with American TV and movies - in English. Unbelievable. Well, the truth is I just don't sit down and watch the TV. I am either working, or playing with Peggy, or on the internet - but not watching television. I think it also varies based on time of day, whether the shows are in English or dubbed in Russian or Romanian.

In any case, our week together flew by much too fast, but we were so pleased that Ramsay could come to visit Moldova

No comments:

Post a Comment