Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Black Sea, part 2







On our last morning in Odessa, when faced with the decision of whether to walk around and see more parks and sights in the city center or to visit a different beach, the choice was clear. BEACH! We asked the hotel concierge for a recommendation, and he suggested Arkaydia beach.

There were many nightclubs and restaurants right along this beach. All were closed, of course, but we definitely got the sense that this place is a lot of fun in the summer.

We sat and played cards at one of these picnic tables. We played in the sand. We collected more shells. Aaaaaah. I could have listened to the waves and the seagulls all day. It was a morning well spent.

The taxi ride to the beach took about a half an hour. Finding our way back to the hotel proved a challenge, but we made it. It was close to our departure time, and we had agreed to eat lunch before getting on the road. I thought we had best stop at a McDonald's drive-thru on the way back to the hotel. (!) I thought I communicated this to the driver - so - when we went driving past the McDonald's I thought - oh, well - I have plenty of snacks in our bag. Turns out there was another McDonald's drive-thru even closer to our hotel. I was glad I had my pocket Russian dictionary on hand when we placed our order. (Peggy wanted a dyevachka toy, I wanted malako in my coffee, etc)

On the drive back to Chisinau later in the day -- out of the blue -- Peggy said that she missed Florida. I asked why. She said she missed the beach. So do I. It was great to spend some time at the Black Sea!

No comments:

Post a Comment