Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Certificates!







After our final session, the only thing left to do was to award the certificates!

(Students learned a lesson in "advance" work. Or, I should say, what happens when advance is not done properly. I planned to award the certificates in the library reading room where we had been meeting, and take photos in front of the flags that were there during our classes last week. When we arrived on Monday. No flags. We of course put to use the #1 Commandment of Effective Organizing, "Improvise. Adapt. Overcome." An American flag was secured, we moved to Aula Senate, photographs were taken. But it was a little amusing, given our discussion of campaign scheduling and advance in the previous lecture.)

Pictured here is Gerhard, the Vice Rector for International Cooperation at ULIM. In his remarks he mentioned that ULIM had reached out to other international organizations and embassies for public lectures about topics related to elections but was rebuffed. He thanked me and the U.S. for this course (and the other election-related events sponsored) and for not shying away from topics related to campaigns, elections, civic engagement.

I must give kudos to Gerhard and the Office of International Cooperation at ULIM. I have been most impressed by the weekly public events organized by that office! The students at ULIM - and the greater community in Chisinau - certainly benefit from these many programs and activities.

I feel truly blessed to have been placed at ULIM for my Fulbright. It is a dynamic and engaging environment in which to teach.

Also pictured with me is Larisa, the political science professor who helped me organize all of the logistics related to this course. It was such a pleasure to work with her. And I do hope we can collaborate on other projects in future

No comments:

Post a Comment