Monday, August 23, 2010

Travel to Moldova, cont.








We had a 4-hour layover in Frankfurt. In the interests of time (and getting Peggy to eat lunch), we ordered a Happy Meal at McDonalds. (Don't scold me.) Peggy enjoyed her Capri Sonne and I got a kick out of the Ich Liebe Es on my latte cup. (It was actually a good latte) And we had a nice view of the airplanes taking off. Peggy thought it looked like we were still in Florida. It did, in a way, but if one looked off in the distance, one could see mountains/hills -- which we definitely don't see in Florida. Especially not in MadBch - where we might be one foot above sea level. (Or not)

We did not use a jetway to get to the plane to Chisinau. We boarded a bus, which seemed to drive for miles and miles to get to our plane on the tarmac. This gave us the opporunity to meet a young Moldovan soldier and his wife, who were returning from Ft Bragg. He was stationed there for 7 months, special forces training. I told him I lived there (in utero) when my parents were stationed there, before my Dad was sent to Vietnam. And his wife is an ULIM alum. Small world!

We were so excited when we started to land in Moldova. What beautiful countryside. So full of anticipation!

No comments:

Post a Comment