Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Tuesday, time change

Tuesday (Day 1.5) was a relatively rough day for us. I rustled Peggy out of bed at 10:30 AM, wanting to get her on MD time schedule, but I could tell she was tired and not herself all day. She wanted to stay in the apartment and play. I wanted to go explore the city and get a cell phone charger and some groceries. It became a battle of wills, and all I will say is that the apples don't fall far from the tree.

Eventually, we made it out, and got what we needed to get: a cell phone charger and pre-paid minutes for the phone and more apa minerale plata (bottled mineral water, flat) and a few more things at the grocery.

We have been shopping at one of the big chains here: Number 1. It is a 24-hour grocery store in our apartment buidling,that includes a deli counter, produce, etc. - so it is more than a 7-11, though less than some of the larger stores. There is a larger store a few blocks from our house which I hope to check out soon. We are especially looking for a larger selection of fruits and vegetables. I am told that the produce here is amazing, and that anything seems to grow like gangbusters in the Moldovan soil.

Tuesday night was as challenging as the afternoon. I put Peggy down to bed around 8 pm, and she fell right asleep. But then she woke up around 8:45 pm, and was up until well past 1:00 AM! I was concerned about getting to an Orientation at the Embassy first thing in the morning - since Peggy got up at Noon on Monday and 10:30 am on Tuesday (only after considerable effort on my part). At 1:00 am I just didn't know how I would get her up the next day. I was exhausted and at wits end.

The good news is that Peggy awoke at 7:30 am, chipper and ready for her playdate, which she was so excited about. One of the Embassy staffers has a 4-year-old son, and his wife graciously agreed to have Peggy come over to play while I was to be at the Embassy for the Orientation. Orientation was scheduled for the day on Wednesday, but Peggy's first day of school was not until Thursday. Since we are new in town and haven't yet secured a sitter/nanny, I was most grateful for the Embassy's assistance in securing childcare for the day. And Peggy had so much fun with her new friend.

Peggy was in great spirits when she was dropped off at the end of the day. We had a fun time at her school's Open House. And then we enjoyed a visit with an old friend. She went down quickly at 9:15 pm. I am hopeful that this means that we will fall into a routine, and that we are starting to adjust to the time change.

Becuase our plane landed at 6:20 pm on Sunday night -- I hoped that by the time we got our luggage, went through customs, got to the apartment, etc -- that we would be in our apartment by 9:30-ish, fall asleep at a MD bedtime, wake up the next morning feeling refreshed -- and have no issues with the time change. What was I thinking?! That was completely unrealistic! However, after a few days, I think we are falling into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment