Sunday, August 29, 2010







We spent an enjoyable Sunday afternoon with new friends, all parents (and their children) from Peggy's school. Guests were from Germany, Mozambique/Brazil, France, and Sweeden - who have been in Moldova from 6 mos-2+ years. Our gracious hosts are from the U.S. (and work for Peace Corps). What a lovely and cozy home. Here you can see Peggy with her new friends sitting in the kitchen window. (The boy to her right is in her class) What a lovely courtyard/garden. Knowing my obsession with finding soy milk for Peggy, our hostess bought some for us. How sweet! It is remarkable how welcoming the ex pat community is here. While I hope we will make some Moldovan friends as well, we very much appreciate the warmth and hospitality we have received so far. It is making the transition so much easier.

Peggy is doing so well. She is happy here. Last night when we were playing with her dolls, she said she was *not* from Florida, she was from Moldova

I signed her up for her after school activities this morning. She will have Drama on Tuesdays, Girl Scout Daisys on Wednesdays, and Piano on Thursdays.

For her language, she wants to learn Romanian. Her choices were Russian, Romanian, French, Spanish, and German. I thought Spanish would be a good choice, but she insisted on Romanian. Ramsay pointed out that I have been learning Romanian all summer, teaching her Romanian words and phrases, so I should not be surprised that she chose Romanian. While not quite as "universal" as some of her other options, it will serve her well here - and it is a Romance language.

I am so pleased that she will be learning a foreign language in Kindergarten. I started with French (1st thru 5th grade), Latin in middle school, Spanish in high school and college. I wanted Peggy to start a language in elementary school as well. Once Peggy gets back to Florida, I don't think her language starts until middle school (Spanish only). For now, she has a wonderful curriculum that will include arts, music, and foreign language.

I have a meeting this afternoon at ULIM with my Dean, the Dean of History and International Relations.

I am eager for my classes to begin, and for the semester to be underway!

1 comment:

  1. Its really cute how she says she's from Moldova. Just adorable.

    ReplyDelete