Saturday, August 11, 2012

International Women's Club of Moldova

When thinking about the community service project for my Study Abroad course in the spring, I wanted to brainstorm with Kate Shannon of the International Women's Club.  I very much admired the work with the IWCM when I was living in Chisinau, and I knew that Kate would have good ideas about possible agencies/projects/community partners.

I was so pleased that Kate and I could meet over coffee to discuss the current projects IWCM is supporting.  If you go to the IWCM website and click on the 2012 grants page, you can also learn more about these projects.   http://www.iwcm.md/index.php

I wish my students could participate in the big IWCM spring fundraiser -- the Night of Art -- but that will likely be in April, and our trip to Moldova will be in March

When I was living in Moldova in 2010, I collected caps as part of an International Women's Club of Moldova project to assist the Regina Pacis Foundation.  When coming back to live in Moldova this summer, I resumed my collection of bottle caps (not really expecting an IWCM meeting to take place and not entirely sure when/how I would donate the caps).  When I met with Kate, I brought her the bottle caps!

The Regina Pacis Foundation sells the plastic caps to a local factory where they are recycled into closures for pipes. With the money raised, the Regina Pacis Foundation provides hot lunches for 200 elderly people.

60 bottle caps = 1 loaf of bread!

If you are living in Chisinau, please consider collecting and donating your bottle caps.

Click here for more information about the program from Regina Pacis Foundation
http://www.reginapacis.org/page/56.html


my collection of caps so far this summer

No comments:

Post a Comment