Monday, August 13, 2012

Moldovan Cuisine

At every opportunity we enjoyed Moldovan cuisine. I have already posted photos of mamaliga, shopski salad, zeama, and pelmeni that we ordered at restaurants.

We were so fortunate to have good friends to cook for us delicious Moldovan cuisine this summer!  Many thanks to dear friends Larisa, Diana, and Svetlana!!

You'll be jealous when you see the photos posted below!

I am hosting a Cooking Club (at home in Madeira Beach) in November, and I plan to have an "Eastern European cuisine" theme-- pierogies or chicken paprikash or goulash or borscht or whatever my friends might want to bring from a broadly defined region.

For my part, I wanted to finally learn how to make a few of my favorite Moldovan dishes.  (Earlier this spring I bought Romanian and Russian cookbooks thru amazon.com, but I have not had the time to try the recipes.  I hope the Cooking Club event will give me an "excuse" and a "deadline" to finally get in the kitchen!)

I will try to make pelmeni, zeama, and, of course, shopskii.  I'll post an update in November!

Larisa baked a traditional Gagauz dish for our picnic at the cave monasteries in Tipova

Peggy's pelmeni....with a little (a lot!!) of help from Larisa

Peggy and Larisa's pelmeni

Diana's mamaliga and friptura...wine from our tasting at Chateau Varteley


Svetlana's mamaliga

Svetlana's friptura


OK. This is not Moldovan cuisine, but this Russian (or Ukranian?) version of cocoa puffs has the nutrition label in TEN languages, not one of which is English. Although this did provide good material for social studies lessons over breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment