Saturday, August 4, 2012

NORLAM


I interviewed judges and attorneys working with the Norwegian Mission of  Rule of Law Advisers to Moldova (NORLAM). 

Here you can read the Memorandum of Understanding between the Kingdom of Norway and the Republic of Moldova on the Norwegian contribution to strengthening the rule of law in Moldova.
http://www.norlam.md/pageview.php?l=en&idc=132&

Those of you who have been following my blog since I first traveled to Moldova may remember my post about a lecture I attended at ULIM delivered by a Norwegian judge about decisions of the European Court of Human Rights and the use of precedent in Moldova.  This lecture is what sparked my interest in my current research project about the impact of decisions of the European Court of Human Rights on legal change in Moldova.

Judge Dag Brathole is no longer in Chisinau,  but he very graciously agreed to be interviewed while on holiday in Sognefjord.

(I should have asked permission to take a "screenshot" while we were skyping. He was on the deck with truly spectacular view of Sognefjord in the background.  This is apparently Norway's longest and deepest fjord. See http://www.sognefjord.no/en/)

I very much appreciated our discussion about the work of NORLAM while he was in Moldova.

I also met with an attorney and a judge currently working in Chisinau with NORLAM.  In our meetings we discussed the trainings that NORLAM conducts for judges about the European Court of Human Rights and about key provisions of the European Convention on Human Rights (See the NORLAM website for copies of the handouts from these trainings) as well as the current Justice Sector Reform strategy in Moldova.

See the NORLAM website for more information and pertinent documents: http://www.norlam.md/

No comments:

Post a Comment