Monday, October 11, 2010

Baby, It's Cold Outside







Last weekend the temps dropped into the 30s in the evenings -- and the apartment was cold. We have very high ceilings and lots of big, new windows -- which let in lots of light -- and -- cold air. I determined to call our real estate agent first thing Monday morning. Later that day (a week ago) the owner of our apartment came over to show me how to turn the heat on.

One of the things that we were looking for in an aparment was an independent heating source. We had heard that before turning on the heat that the government waits until the temps reach a certain low for a certain period of time (three days?) before they turn on the heat. With Peggy, I was concerned that we have more control over the heat of our apartment

Our utlities for our first month were reasonable. I am a little nervous about what our gas bill will be next month, after this past week of having the heat on in the apartment . . .

(On a side note, I feel better about paying the building management fee. There have been workers in our stariwell, chipping away old paint, plastering, sanding, and painting. My only concern was whether, going into the several layers of paint from this stairwell, if we were breathing up flakes/dust of lead paint as we huff and puff up the stairs. . . .)

In any case -- here is a photo of one of our radiators. There is a radiator in each of the bedrooms, the living room, and the kitchen. In the bathroom, this towel rack heats up as the radiators, and warms the towels

I went shopping at the Central Market last week and purchased a nice big fluffy, warm robe for me -- and these fuzzy, warm PJs for Peggy. I also bought a few new scarves for me. (Am re-posting the photo from Teacher Appreciation Day so you can see one of them) Wearing a scarf makes a big difference in keeping warm!

It was a beautiful afternoon on Friday, so Peggy and I went to her favorite playground. I was so glad we did, since it was a cold, rainy weekend, and we spent much of it inside.

It is ironic that I am finally getting around to this post today -- a week later -- because today there are blue skies, the sun is shining, and, according to weather.com, it is in the mid-50s outside.

I'll be inside working for the rest of the day, but, if it is nice outside when Peggy comes home, we will definitely head to the playground again. Not sure how many nice days are left for us. It seemed last week that we were quikly moving from summer to winter, with precious little fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment