Thursday, October 14, 2010

Moldova Day at QSI








After "class," I got a taxi to QSI for the Moldova Day festivities at Peggy's school. When I went outside to catch a taxi, I realized how difficult it would be --due to all the street closures. Eventually, I made it to Peggy's school.

Festivities began with a sample of Moldovan foods. Each of the classes had prepared a treat to share with the rest of the school. Then we went upstairs for the show. On our way upstairs, we saw displays of the children's autumn artwork. Here are a few of Peggy's pieces.

Each class performed in the show (program included in photo) -- some danced, others sang, others performed skits of Moldovan legends, folklore, superstitions. Some Moldovan folk musicians also performed.

I appreciated the opportunity to learn more about Moldovan traditions and customs. (Now we know why there were storks on the signs at the Wine Festival!)

As I sat there watching the kids perform, I thought how lucky they are to be here, to be able to learn more about another culture, not from reading a book in a Social Studies class, but from living abroad and from interacting with people from another nation.

Moldova is such an interesting and complex place. There is still so much to learn!

But we certainly had a fun time at the QSI Moldova Day Event. The children did such a good job with their performances.

More photos to come in the next post. I took videos as well -- but I won't have the opportunity to download and upload them in the near future

No comments:

Post a Comment