Thursday, October 7, 2010

School Field Trip to Orheiul Vechi!








I was so pleased that my meetings could be re-arranged and that I could attend the school field trip to Orhei: "Museum complex in the open air, Hearth of old civilizations and millenary history"

According to my tourbook, what you see in these photos is a stone dwelling "arranged at the beginning of the 15th centrury and which functioned for approximately 100 years."

Interestingly, it says also that "inside the complex were discovered two bronze cannons from Stephen the Great and Saint's period that were hidden by the defenders of the Orhei citadel in 1510, during the invasion of the Tartars from Crimea. These pieces, unique for Eastern Europe, are displayed at the National Museum of Archaeology and History of Moldova in the city of Chisinau."

We have been to that museum, and saw the display of artifacts from Orhei. We will need to go back and look at them again, now that we have this guidebook with more information about what were were seeing.

I must confess that I wish I had this guidebook *before* our trip, so I would have better understood what we were looking at when we were out there. There were no guides or historical markers to tell you the significance of what you were seeing. However, even with no information, the landscape alone is quite striking.

As you know, only 5 photos per post -- so -- here come photos of the cave monastery, the museum complex, the Turkish baths . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment