Sunday, October 17, 2010

from Moldova to Moldavia








After we filled up the tank on the van (for 860 MDL!) we were on our way. There were 8 passengers in our van -- 4 families -- 3 teacher couples and Peggy & me. Those who teach at QSI are as interesting and engaging as the parents/families -- and it was a pleasure to share the ride with them

I was surprised when we crossed 2 borders to get into Romania. We had our passports checked and stamped when leaving Moldova, and went through Customs. And then we had our passports checked and stamped in Romania, and went through Customs. So, Peggy and I each got 4 stamps in our passports for this weekend getaway. I don't ever remember having my passport stamped when leaving a country before. (In fact, I remember when I was younger, traveling throughout Europe by train and being disappointed that no one checked my passport - and that I lacked stamps for several of the countries that we visited.)

Our home base in Romania was in Iasi. Our hotel was the "Little Texas" Funny that on our first trip to Romania we were staying in an American-style hotel. When I read the description on the hotel website, I knew Peggy would love it. Breakfast included pancakes and *real* maple syrup and crispy bacon. The breakfasts lived up to the expectations!

Our room had a balcony overlooking Iasi. (Pictured here: Peggy and some of her friends on our balcony) It was quite a lovely spot, about 10 minutes from the city center

No comments:

Post a Comment