Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Central Market








After stopping by the US Embassy (with my new passport photos for my legitimatie -- and also to purchase my ticket to the Marine Corps Ball), I met up with the other Fulbright Scholar (teaching at Moldova State University) for lunch.

After lunch he showed me the entrance to the Central Market. Vendors sell everything from housewares, clothing, toiletries, electronics, and school supplies -- along with produce, meat, fish, and cheese. Quite a hustle-bustle.

The heavens opened up and there was a downpour. An umbrella was already on my "list" of things to buy. I was able to put my sporty leopard-print model to use immediately.

I also bought some Peggy-sized hangers and watercolor paint -- and blue cheese, honey, fruits and vegetables, and some apple juice bottles for Peggy. (I must remember the Russian word for "apple" -- yablaka?)

More photos will follow (I can only post 5 at a time) -- sadly they don't capture the smell of the cheese market, or the sticky sweetness of the taste of honey, or the dampness of dodging guys with big metal carts while puddle-jumping on the uneven pavement, or the feeling of being jostled by fellow shoppers -- still, you catch a glimpse

No comments:

Post a Comment