Saturday, September 18, 2010

human rights

The Office of International Cooperation organizes at least a half dozen events every week.

On Thursday, I attended one of those events, hosted by the Debate Club: "Marginal Views in the Context of Public Expression."

The speaker was Oleg Brega, human rights activist, who showed video and discussed protests surrounding proposed anti-gay discrimination legislation.

I was pleased to see so many students from my classes in attendance at the event.

You can actually watch a video of the event here:

http://curaj.tv/reportaj/cultural/dezbatere-despre-diversitate-cu-oleg-brega/

If you fastforward to the end of this video, you can see one of my students asking a question. I'll have to ask about the dialogue in class on Tuesday.

Here is more about the presenter, from his blog:

http://brega.wordpress.com/about/

He'd be a great speaker for my Constitutional Law 2 class (Civil Rights and Civil Liberties) back at USFSP.

Now that I am expert in skype video conferencing, I look forward to being able to internationalize my courses -- by inviting "guest speakers" from abroad -- as well as creating spaces for my students to interact with students from other universities.

I met another gay rights activist in attendance at the event. You can learn more about her organization here

www.LGBT.md

No comments:

Post a Comment