Thursday, September 2, 2010

La Multi Ani






On Thursday, my day began with a meeting with the Rector of ULIM and Embassy staff (the Director of Public Affairs, which oversees Fulbright as well as a number of other exchange programs) to formally present me to the university. I had already met the Rector last week and had participated in the Opening Ceremony the day before, so there wasn't much to talk about as it related to me. (Although the formal presentation still plays an important role) However, I found the meeting terribly interesting, as the Rector seized the opportunity to discuss several issues and ideas that he wanted to raise with the Ambassador. Probably inappropriate to report on the specific topics here -- except to say that I am once again delighted to be at ULIM and in Moldova at such an exciting time.

My key contact at the university was at the meeting as well. His title is Vice Rector for International Cooperation. Before coming here, I thought the title seemed a bit grandiose and sort of vague. What does that mean? Vice Rector for International Cooperation? But as I have been here and learned more about what Gerhard does -- and learned more about the vision of the Rector -- the position and its title make a lot of sense.

After meeting in the Rector's Office, we moved across the hall for some refreshments. There was quite a spread of cookies, candies (including the chocolates that Peggy likes), grapes, and coffee that really hit the spot – and a cognac toast. Wow! It was quite tasty. As we left the meeting, we could see all of the Deans waiting outside of the Rector’s Office. A few minutes later, Gerhard invited me and Ismail (the Turkish professor who helps coordinate the international faculty) to join the Deans in wishing the Rector a Happy Birthday – La Multi Ani! Once again, we enjoyed a cognac toast, this time to the Rector’s birthday. At both meetings, I was trying to learn the name of the cognac. It was excellent! I learned it was from the breakaway province in Transneistria, Tiraspol, but was trying to find out what it was called. Much to my delight, the Rector presented me with 2 bottles for MY birthday! How cool is that?!

Pictures posted here include -- a mural above the stairway, outside the Rector's Office. The mural directly outside the Rector's Office. And a photo taken after our meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment