Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Picnic and Pushkin in the codri (forest) in Dolna







A delightful picnic. Quite civilized. With lovely tablecloth. Tea in proper cup. Everything was delicious. I may have had 3 of the cheesy croissants. But who should count, on an afternoon such as we enjoyed in the forest.

Here is where we discussed our assigned reading. I read the stories quickly (in the taxi ride on the way to our meeting place). I would have to say that even the quick read left me wanting to read more, learn more about Pushkin. But our discussion in the forest, and our host's discussion of the stories (and the many allusions contained therein) certainly whet the appetite even further.

In these photos: The forest. A crucifix, erected here near the spring/well, which is apparently a custom (to recall the story of the woman at the well). The area where the gypsy encampment was located. (My host also gave me a copy of "The Gypsies" to read. I will do so tonight!) Also pictured is a local woman who joined us for lunch. She was at the picnic table when we arrived. She was on her way back from church, where she had been praying, and stopped in the forest before heading back to her home. We shared with her some of the fruit salad, for she was fasting and could not sample some of the other treats at the table. Before eating, she sang a lovely prayer. Once again, I feel I have let you down by not also sharing videos of the site, as my words and still photos can't possibly capture the cool stillness of the forest (interrupted by a shower of falling acorns), the warmth and aroma of the tea, or the melody of the chanting prayer/grace

No comments:

Post a Comment