Thursday, September 2, 2010

Meetings with the Facultatea






We, too, have Opening Ceremonies -- or Freshman Convocations -- back home. At ULIM, following the Opening Ceremony at the National Palace, the freshman students return to campus (a few blocks away) to meet in one of the classrooms with the faculty from their Department. I met with the students from History and International Relations as well as the incoming Law students. I didn't take photos during my meetings, however I include as an example the photo here of the meeting with the students registered in the Foreign Languages Department. At the head of the classroom is the Dean, as well as the international faculty I mentioned in a recent post. Pictured are the professors from China, Spain, and Turkey.

I am not sure what percentage of our incoming freshman come to USF with a declared major -- but I love this idea of the faculty meetings with the incoming freshman. I would like to organize more programming specific to our Political Science majors once I return to USFSP

I also include a photo of one of the classroom doors. Over the summer ULIM installed all new doors and windows. Quite a nice facility.

I also include a photo of one of the bulletin boards -- one for the Law Faculty -- that can be seen throughout the building. Everywhere there are bulletin boards with sheets of white papers - which students are consulting to find out about their status, registration, courses.

I have had several meetings at ULIM before the start of the semester. It was wonderful being on campus yesterday --with the semester underway. There were, of course, students everywhere! Now it feels like a university! Everyone looks bright and enthusiastic. I can't wait for my courses to begin -- and to meet my students!

On a random note, the Rector has installed a speaker system -- inside and outside the campus buildings. A variety of music plays in between classes (that signals when class is over, when the next class is to begin) My apartment building is adjacent to campus. I have been working with my windows open, and I can hear the music the same as if I were standing on the patio on campus. The Rector selects the music to broaden the horizons of the students -- opera, classical music, etc. I love that I live next to the campus.

1 comment:

  1. Just as a heads up, you can't declare a major at USF until after 30 hours (at least that's what they told the transfers).

    ReplyDelete