Saturday, September 4, 2010

Muzeul National de Arheologie si Istorie a Moldovei, part doi







We arrived at the National History Museum just as it opened, so it was quiet. It was a beautiful building -- rather big and grand rooms (one is pictured here) that tended to dwarf the exhibits. The rooms were each staffed with an older woman, who would turn the lights on when we entered, and then turn the lights off as we strolled into the next room. There were not elaborate descriptions of the artifacts -- just one phrase of what each item was. Quite an array of artifacts -- the ones in these photos are from ancient times. And another part of a display of military uniforms (many from Imperial Russia). There is also a big WWII diorama. I would have loved to have heard a presentation there about Operation Iasi-Chisina 1944. (I did buy a brochure about the diorama at the ticket counter. But there is obviously so much more to learn about this, "one of the biggest and bloodiest military operations from WWII." I must ask my Dad what he knows about it)

There was not a gift shop, per se (no fridge magnets! no souvenir coffee mug!) but we did purchase a few nifty postcard books of Moldova at the ticket counter. (I guess I have to adjust my motto of -- if you haven't been to the gift shop, then you haven't really been there)

No comments:

Post a Comment