Sunday, September 26, 2010

lazy Sunday







Peggy and I enjoyed a quiet Sunday. She was tired from the Girl Scout camping adventure on Saturday. So we had a low-key day. (That included a 3-hour nap!)

She made the posterboards for her presentation at school on Monday -- about what life in Florida is like.

I found a nice office supply shop on the way to the Central Market, where I bought posterboard, a dry erase marker (for my classes), and some envelopes.

And, fortunately I had many photos posted on facebook that I could copy, save to a flashdrive, and then print out at a nearby photo shop on Stefan cel Mare. Many of these photos were taken with my Blackbery and uploaded in to the "mobile uploads" album -- but the quality of the photos was pretty good.

Of course, when thinking about our life in Florida we were looking for our favorite beach and WDW photos. We also included Spring Training baseball photos and the recent space shuttle launch. Sailing. A backyard picnic (can't see our banana trees, but I hope Peggy will mention them -- fortunately the pink flamingos are in view!). Giving Dad a big hug at the Daquiri Deck. Swimming. Ice cream at the Candy Kitchen with Uncle Dave. I realized I didn't have any gecko photos. So Peggy drew one.

We made a second posterboard about "America" This is where we included the required family portrait (the 4 of us at the Mall of America -- seemed appropriate!) We were also to include famous landmarks from our country -- so we included photos of Peggy at the White House Egg Roll and also Peggy in front of the Capitol before the Inauguration. I also included photos of the Statue of Liberty, the arch in St Louis, the Golden Gate Bridge and the Grand Canyon - but I am afraid she has not seen those landmarks in person yet. We also included a photo of the US flag.

Thanks to our friend Senator Charlie Justice, Peggy has copies of the FL Senate kids book to give out and to donate to the library at QSI. And thanks to the lady at the Port Orleans Hotel at WDW, we have enough Mickey stickers to give out to the whole class.

We decided we would bake brownies to share - as our example of an "American" food. Thanks to my friend David for sending this mix to us in a care package!!

Peggy's classmates are from or have lived in countries all over the world, so I am sure this will be a fun week for her, filled with her classmates presentations. However, I must confess that I have not really felt homesick until working on this project with Peggy -- focusing on the question -- what do I like about living in Florida? And it made me miss the beach, and our little beach bungalow. Perhaps we can get over to Odessa before it gets too cold. . . .

I had picked up some modeling clay at the Market on Saturday -- so we had fun with that.

And, of course, we had to go back to our favorite playground. Peggy made a new friend, and she was able to finally enjoy the see-saw

One thing I wanted to point out when you look at the photo of Peggy and her friend on the see-saw. Check out their tights. I finally picked up a few pairs of tights for Peggy at the market. What I call "3-D" and decorated tights are all the rage here. You can't really tell in this photo - but - there are petals and leaves on the flowers on Peggy's tights that are "3-D." Pretty cool. Now that I know what size she wears, I must get a few more pairs. I have never seen anything like the girls tights they sell here.

Some things are ridiculously more expensive here -- and some things cost less. I think the tights are an example of something that is a good deal. These tights cost 25 lei -- about $2 -- which is less than Target -- and these are also much more interesting.

We enjoyed our walk around town on a beautiful Sunday afternoon -- sunny, blue skies, gentle breeze, perfect temperature.

Of course, this also meant we saw several brides. I need to get a good photo of one of the bridal cars. The wedding couple will drive, beeping down the street, in a car that is decorated in flowers and bows -- sometimes 2 gold bands or a bridal doll decorate the car as well. I wonder what important call this groom needed to accept while having his wedding photos taken

No comments:

Post a Comment