Thursday, September 23, 2010

Korean Event at ULIM, doi







Here are additional photos of more dancers, as well as the tae kwon do demonstration. Wow! They kicked and smacked those wooden blocks. I was hoping the wood was not going to smash into the big mirrors - or the light fixtures. At one point a chunks of wood went flying towards the Rector! A few close calls, but no damage was done (other than to the wood planks, as intended)

I include also a photo of the meeting with students in Aula Korea, so you can see another country room.

Also - as I was sitting there listening to the presentations in Korean and Romanian, my mind wandered. I looked at those women seated in front of me, wondering if they were comfortable sitting in the chairs with their purses. Then I noticed the pile of purses on the table in front of me. And then I remembered what someone told me before I came here: don't put your purse on the floor. I can't remember *why* you are not supposed to put your purse on the floor, but as I looked around this classroom, I was reminded of the custom.

I was honored to be invited by the Rector to join the luncheon with the Korean diplomats. The lunch conversation was also in Korean and Romanian (and the Vice Rector, who speaks 14 languages, was off at ANOTHER event with members of the German Parliament!) so I was without a translator. Nevertheless, it was a most enjoyable afternoon. I learned, for example, that the Rector's daughter is finishing her doctorate at Stanford and that she speaks 9 languages. (Note to self: the Cricova cabernet is quite tasty)

No comments:

Post a Comment